Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Hush Puppies & Honey

Yay! We did some honey harvesting! Got about 2 gallons this time. Last year was about 2.5 gallons, but who's counting.




I love to watch capping.

It is just taking off that top layer of wax to reveal the combe filled with all that luscious honey!


Not sure how visible the darker honey is in that photo to the left.


They say it is concentrated because it is older.


But since our honey is all mixed together, it really doesn't matter in the end, but it is still very good to dip my fingers into!
























Tony always wears his bee uniform to work with the bees, but I never wear protection when photographing him.






Being a mama, I listen very very carefully.

If they sound loud, I just back away from the area.





Full disclosure....I did get stung this time. I was eager to show some photos with my phone and stepped on one!

The sting from a honey bee is nothing like the sting from other hostile bees. These girls are very gentle Italian bees.















































Once in a while I get a hankering for good old fashioned Hush Puppies. They are best hot off the stove, but not so bad the next day when they are kinda stiff and cold with a nice blob of fresh raspberry jelly.....yuuuuuummm.


BTW~Hush puppy mix is the same as what is wrapped around a corn dog. If I make corn dogs, I just cut the sausage or (gag) hot dogs into small bite sized pieces, then make small bite size corn dogs. If I tried to make a big one on a stick in the house it would take a huge amount of oil and be very awkward. Bite size is the way to go for us home cooks!




















Hush Puppies

1 C cornmeal
1C all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
2-4 Tb sugar
1 tsp table salt
1-2 Tb minced fresh onion

2 eggs
1/4 C milk

Mix dry ingredients. Mix wet ingredients and add to dry. Mix well and drop by spoonfuls into hot oil, deep enough so they bob around.
Turn the pups over to brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels....serve!



2 comments:

ostman said...

Very cool that you guys have your own honey operation.

Dave said...

That's way cool!
Must be cool to harvest your own honey and then eat it!
Those hush puppies look deluxe!
Usually I put ketchup on mine though. I know... barbarian!